Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Advertise My Identity

As most people close to me know, I cannot tan. My skin is not pale (clears throat); it is fair. Regardless of the adjective used to define my extreme whiteness, the truth is, is that I’m really white. When I get sunburn, I suffer with no consolation that it’ll turn into a tan…because it won’t. I’ll just go back to being white again. It’s a vicious cycle, I tell you! I’ve pretty much accepted my skin tone, came to the conclusion that I’ll never be tan, and am okay with the fact on most days.

Now, I currently live in Thailand. For those who know any Thai people or Southeast Asians, know that they have naturally darker skin. In other words, most people here have a natural, nice looking tan.

I was absolutely shocked by the advertisements here. Most of the people in commercials are young of course, but despite their Thai looking facial features, they have extremely white skin. Additionally, I see at least 15 commercials every day on my way to work on the SkyTrain and at least half of these are advertising sunblock brands. I was chatting about this with an Australian coworker of mine and he said that I should be careful when buying sunblock here, because most brands contain bleach in them. Really? Really!

After further reflection, I asked myself why I was so shocked. I’ve come from one culture obsessed with changing their skin tone in order to supposedly look better and fit the mold created by society… into another culture that does the same exact thing. Instead of adding bleach to our sunblock, there are countless tanning lotions, tanning salons, and the wipes that automatically darken your skin (guilty).

Why? Would we all live happily ever after if we had the desired skin tone, hair color, waist size, etc? Doubtful. Why are we so insecure in the way we look? I understand and agree with the fact that we need to be healthy and appear presentable in public, or whatever. But, what's up with tbe obsession to change who we are from the outside? Who or what are we striving to become?

True change and identity comes from within, from the inside out. Our identities are defined not by our appearance, but by our character, heart and mind. Have you every known someone who you didn't find attractive at first, but after getting to know that person, he/she became beautiful to you? That is the remarkable essence of character! Anyone can dye their hair, buy certain clothing and get a tan (except me perhaps). But, not everyone can sacrifice their time, show love and compassion, and possess a true understanding of people's needs.

3 comments:

  1. Preach it sister! sooo good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is God who should define our self-confidence and self-esteem. God, the all powerful, all beautiful, all worthy God counts us, as ugly as we are, worth bleeding and dying for so that He can have us in His presence forever. We must be pretty darn beautiful and precious to Him to do so.

    ReplyDelete